Himalayan Salt – 10 Things to Know

Himalyan Salt

  1. Himalayan salts is actually not from the Himalayas. It is sourced from the Khewra Salt Mine in Pakistan, about 300 miles to the west of the Himalayan Mountain Range.
  2. This salt mine is the second largest in the world, and has been a source of salt for over 2000 years. Despite this lengthy history, the “Himalayan” brand gained popularity in the Western world only in the past 15 years.
  3. Himalayan salt varies in color from white to opaque to pink. The pink color is due to  the presence of iron oxide. You may know it by its common name – rust.
  4. Himalayan salt is about 96% sodium chloride, the same as table salt.
  5. The remaining 4% are potassium, calcium and magnesium, as well as tens of additional trace minerals.
  6. Table salt is purified by removing the trace minerals, It is then mixed with an anti-caking agent, usually calcium silicate (an FDA and WHO safety approved additive). Himalayan salt undergoes no such processing.
  7. Iodine, a nutrient many people are deficient in, has been added to table salt for years. It is not added to Himalayan salt.
  8. The trace minerals present in Himalayan salt make for a slightly different taste, texture and mouth-feel compared to regular table salt.
  9. Nutritionally, there is no difference between Himalayan salt and table salt. Don’t buy into the health claims of none other than the marketers of Himalayan salts.
  10. Should you be paying a 100-fold premium for Himalayan salt? If you like the flavor, or you think the color is cool – go for it. Don’t do it for health reasons. In any case, most of us need to limit salt consumption, no matter which kind it is.

Mayo Clinic, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

Get Fooducated

  • istealcookies

    Question—If this salt is 96% NaCl (as most salt), and the remaining 4% is K, Ca and Mg, then what percentage makes up the “rust”, or iron oxide? I would think it would be well more than less than 1% if you can even see the color of it…

    • http://www.fooducate.com/ Fooducate

      The percentages are approximated and change based on various factors.

      • istealcookies

        well of course, i’m just wondering what the percentage of the “rust” (iron and oxygen) account for in general since it’s mentioned about being there but not calculated in the total.

  • Sharyn Guthrie

    Just the fact that it is pure with the trace minerals makes Himalayan salt (or sea salt) better than stripped down, processed table salt. There are much better sources of dietary iodine than salt, such as fish, eggs, and sea veggies, but the added bromine in our foods and fluoridation of our water are the main causes of iodine deficiency today.

    • http://www.fooducate.com/ Fooducate

      “Trace minerals” – why does that term translate immediately to “better”?

      • Sharyn Guthrie

        I am simply stating that natural occurring nutrients are beneficial to our health, especially when conventional farming has drastically depleted these nutrients from the soil, therefore our food. I have wondered for some time which side you are on Fooducate?

        • http://www.fooducate.com/ Fooducate

          The amount of trace minerals in Himalayan salt is so minuscule that it simply makes no difference. If you want to believe health claims by the very same people who market these salts, it’s no different than trusting Kellogg’s when they tell us that Froot Loops is a healthy choice.

          • Sharyn Guthrie

            I disagree – unprocessed salt vs. processed, gmo, chemical-laden non-nutritional crap. I am fooducated enough to know the difference and vote with my dollars.

          • VWH

            GMO Salt is so dangerous!

      • mike

        because it is better. Read up on it

  • Kattyu
  • Kattyu

    Fooducate!I think Himalayan salt is one of the best salt to our health,better than salt from the lab with E535 or Yellow Prussiate of Soda (YPS) as a Non-caking Agent in Salt… and such.I like Celtic salt as well.Always from the nature,avoid man made crap!

  • Samiamrn

    Just lost respect for this app. Won’t be recommending it anymore. Was under the impression it was run by smart truly educated people and not the typical brainwashed mainstream sheeple. I regret having ever promoted it. I’ll undo that damage shortly.

    • http://www.fooducate.com/ Fooducate

      Besides the vitriol, do you have some facts you’d like to add to the discussion?

  • Thomas Dohr

    Recipes for energy, weight loss, better sex, anti-aging, blood type, probiotics, disease treatment & prevention and more!>>> https://tr.im/fwOw0