This is an easy recipe that can be prepared in less than 20 minutes, but requires a minimum of 6 hours in a slow cooker or low heat oven. The juices from the chicken blend with the spices to thoroughly drench and soften the whole grain rice until it becomes a sweet and savory mash. By the time you serve it, the meat literally falls off the chicken bones.
Slow Cooked Chicken with Whole Grain Rice
- 8 pieces of chicken (4 drumsticks, 4 thighs)
- 5 cups of boiling water
- 2 cups of whole grain rice
- 8 ounces tomato paste, unsalted
- 3 onions, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Optional spices – 1/2 tsp each of: cumin, coriander, nutmeg, cardamom seeds
- Optional for serving – fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Farenheit.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high flame.
- Carefully place chicken pieces in saucepan to brown them (1 minute each side)
- Remove chicken and scrape bottom of saucepan.
- Sauté onions for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir.
- Add rice and stir.
- Add boiling water and stir.
- Add the spices and stir.
- Place the chicken pieces back into the saucepan and bring to boil.
- Cover saucepan and place in oven for 6-12 hours.
- Watch out when removing from the oven and when serving. The food will be VERY hot.
- Optional – serve over fresh spinach leaves. The heat from the chicken and rice will wilt them.
- You can opt for skinless chicken pieces as well, but without the skin, the long cooking process tends to dry out the meat. Cooking with the skin does not mean you need to eat it…
Nutrition analysis, provided by Palate Works:
Served with spinach: