Happy New Year!
If you are like many other people, you’ve made some New Year’s resolutions that include healthy eating, exercise, and weight loss. The motivation to succeed is high today, but for most people it evaporates almost as fast as alcohol breath following a wild New Year’s party. Here are 5 hacks you can start incorporating into your life immediately.
1. Mentally prepare for the long haul. A good weight loss strategy is a lifestyle-change strategy. If you go on a crazy diet and suffer for months to lose weight, you will most likely rebound and regain all your lost pounds. Instead of opting for fast weight loss, think about losing just half a pound a week, but doing it through sustainable modifications to your diet.
2. Eat at home more. Your home has fewer unhealthy food temptations. Your home has fewer fat/sugar/salt combos folded into a 1000-calorie appetizer or side dish. Your home has fresh fruits and vegetables (right?). At home, you control the portion size. At home there is less social pressure to eat nutritionally void food. At home, there is less pressure to drink more wine or beer.
3. Drink more water. Slowly shift your daily hydration from soft drinks and juices to water. Preferably tap water, which is abundant and cheap. Yes you can. Doesn’t taste good? There are ways to work around that. Not pure enough? Get a filter. Another excuse? Read these 10 tips to get you started.
4. Sleep more. Americans are sleeping less with each passing year. Tired people are hungry people. Studies have shown that a well rested individual gains less weight than a tired one.
5. Track your diet. Studies show that people who keep a food diary lose twice as much weight. It should take no more than 5-10 minutes per day for all snacks and meals. You can use pen and paper, or the Fooducate app, but get started today. If you think 10 daily minutes is too much time to spend jotting down your eats, think about it from a calorie perspective. The time you spend on your food diary every day will save you much more calories than any exercise you can do in those 10 minutes.
How are you kickstarting your healthy eating this year?