Warning: After making these pickles, you’ll never want to go back to the store bought stuff.
Fourth of July is coming up, and many of us will be celebrating not too far from a hot dog or burger. A nice crunchy pickle on top, or on the side, can seriously improve one’s life. Prepare these pickles today, and they’ll be ready for your gastronomic pleasure in 3-4 days.
To make these pickles the rockstars of your holiday buffet, you must use a certain type of cucumber. Not the giant tasteless cukes you normally find in the produce section. Buy “Persian” cucumbers, which are much smaller. Choose very firm cucumbers that are as straight as possible – they’re easier to place in jar that way.
- 8-12 small, very firm Persian cucumbers, washed
- 6 cloves of garlic
- Small jalpeno (optional)
- 4 allspice berries
- Handful of of dill
- Clean glass jar and lid
- Large saucepan for boiling water
- Medium saucepan for boiling water
- Measuring cup (or a regular cup)
- Bring water to boil in both saucepan.
- Before water is boiling, use tongs to submerge lid in large saucepan for a few seconds and remove.
- When water is boiling, submerge jar in saucepan for 5-10 seconds. Remove.
- You’re done sterilizing, turn heat off. (Note – if these pickles will be eaten within a week or two of prep, you can skip the sterilization part).
- Place jalapeno + 3 garlic cloves in the jar.
- Place the cucumbers in the jar, standing upright, until the jar is full. (You can lay the jar sideways to keep the cucumbers from falling when just starting out).
- Add the remaining garlic gloves and allspice.
- Top it off with the dill.
- In your measuring cup place 1 TBSP of salt + 1 TBSP of vinegar + boiling water from small saucepan.
- Mix vigorously and pour over dill into jar.
- Repeat steps 9-10 until jar is brimming with liquid. (Usually 1.5-2 cups of water is all it takes)
- Cove jar with lid. Don’t screw it on.
- Place jar near a windowsill that sees sunlight.
- After 24-72 hours screw the lid onto jar and place in the fridge. Once the pickles are cold enough, enjoy!