if you’re in to smoothies, here’s a great tip for you. For an extra pink color, toss in some beets. Yup. The color is amazing. Beets are slightly sweet, so the flavor balance doesn’t get thrown off either.
The image above is a of beet yogurt smoothie. No filters added. Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup (8 oz) plain yogurt
- 1 medium beet
- 1-3 tsp sugar
- mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Wrap the beet in aluminum foil.
- Roast in oven on high heat for an hour until soft.
- Let cool down, then peel (with fingers, it’s really easy), and cut into several pieces. Note: You can refrigerate the beets for up to a week.
- In a blender, mix the yogurt, beets, and sugar, until smoothie consistency is reached.
- Garnish with mint and enjoy!
- It’s better to use regular, not Greek, yogurt because you want a more liquid consistency.
- Any smoothie using with pink/blue fruits can get an enhanced color with the addition of a small amount of beets (even just 1 ounce).
- For a savory variation, add some salt and lemon juice, and garnish with cilantro or Italian Parsley. Toss in a garlic clove if you don’t have any important meetings immediately afterwards…