When the weather goes from bad to worse, our daily routine gets out of whack. Services we take for granted such as electricity and water may suddenly become unavailable. But eat we must, in any and all situations.
Here’s a checklists of foods to stock up on, for a rainy (or worse) day:
1. Bottled water – because you never know what will ooze out of the tap during and after the storm.
2. Canned sardines and tuna – need no refrigeration or heat. Great source of protein, vitamins and minerals.
3. Canned beans – tread carefully here. Beans are an amazing source of protein, fiber, and other nutrients. However, if you plan on spending a long time with people in closed quarters, make sure everyone can stomach the fiber.
4. Fresh vegetables and fruits – because you can’t eat canned food all day long. Pre-wash whatever you can so as not to waste the bottled water in case of an outage.
5. Canned vegetables - for when the fresh stuff runs out. And because fresh corn needs to be cooked, while canned corn is a sweet bliss.
6. Hard boiled eggs – prepare these in advance and add to your canned tuna, throw into a salad, or add sliced onto sandwiches.
7. Condiments – have the basics – salt, pepper, olive oil, etc… to add to whatever you are preparing.
8. Peanut butter and jams – nothing like PB&J for kids. Choose peanut butter made with just peanuts. No added ingredients. There’s plenty of sugar in the jam.
9. Nuts, seeds, and dried food – nutritional powerhouses. Just try not to munch too much at a sitting. The fats are healthy, but the calories add up.
10. Pet food! Because Fido needs to eat when it’s stormy too.
What are you stocking up on?