We recently ran a peanut butter scanning contest for users of the Fooducate iPhone and Android app. We asked you to scan your favorite peanut butter for a chance to win a healthy peanut butter from Krema (only one ingredient!). The aggregate info from tens of thousands of your scans turned out to be pretty interesting. Here’s what we learned.
Most Popular Brands (by percentage of scans)
- Jif - 26%
- Skippy – 17%
- Peter Pan – 7%
- Smucker’s – 6%
- Trader Joe’s – 4%
- Peanut Butter & Co – 3%
- Planters – 3%
- Great Value – 3%
Creamy vs. Crunchy
The vast majority of you prefer creamy PB. 68% favorited peanut butters that were specifically creamy, 35% preferred a crunch.
Single most scanned PB product
Jif Creamy Peanut Butter, Grade = C+
The Healthiest Brands were not so popular:
- Bell Plantation PB2 1%, Grade = A
- Krema 1%, , Grade = A
- Just Great Stuff 0.2%, , Grade = A
Say what?! The top graded products accounted for less than 3% of the scans?
Maybe these tips will help you next time:
What to look for in a healthy peanut butter
- Choose peanut butter without added sugar and oils.
- Watch out for fat-free, and other diet options full of unnecessary ingredients. (Scan them to learn more).
- An ideal peanut butter contains just peanuts. Maybe a dash of salt.
For those reading the blog who don’t use the app, what is your favorite peanut butter?