…or have prediabetes. This, according to a study by health insurer United Health, and as reported by Reuters. Some additional stark figures:
- By 2020, 50% of Americans will be afflicted by diabetes.
- The cost to America will be $3.35 TRILLION !!!
- The direct medical bills, today at $11,700 per diabetic, will be about 10% of total healthcare spending by 2020.
- There are 26 million diabetics in the US alone, and another 67 millions are what’s considered pre-diabetic.
- Over 80% of prediabetics don’t even know they are at risk.
What you need to know:
Diabetes occurs when the body is unable to handle high blood sugar levels. Normally, he body manufactures insulin, which regulates blood sugar levels, but diabetics either don’t manufacture any (type 1), or enough (type 2), or can’t use it effectively (also type 2). Diabetes is a chronic condition which cannot be cured.
The steepest increase in diabetes is type 2, resulting from poor eating habits that lead to obesity. Which means that for many people suffering from diabetes, they could have avoided it had they known and acted early enough!
Do yourself a favor, don’t wait until it’s too late. Consult with your doctor and check your blood sugar levels. Then go and consult with a dietitian who will help you build a food plan that works for you.
What to do at the supermarket:
if you don’t buy it, you won’t eat it, so limit your spending on junky foods and soft drinks. Use the saved fund to buy healthier food at the store perimeter.