Wondering why childhood obesity is running rampant?
Now you know.
Half of the fattening calories come from just 6 foods:
- Sugary fruit drinks
- Grain desserts, such as cake, cookies and donuts
- Dairy desserts such as ice cream
- Whole milk, which is far fattier than skim.
We’re surprised french fries are not on the list.
Why is this happening to us and how can we stop it?
What you need to know:
There are multiple reasons for childhood obesity:
- nutritionally deficient school lunches (based on subsidized crops)
- cheap fast food (based on subsidized crops)
- commercials for kids featuring junk food (made from subsidized crops)
- parents that don’t have enough time to cook and can prepare a microwave meal in 5 minutes from frozen entrees (based on cheap subsidized crops)
So how do we get kids to eat healthier food?
Perhaps the USDA should start subsidizing fruits and vegetables other than corn and soy. But the agro-lobbies are too powerful for anyone to battle. Our Congress and Senate won’t tackle them, nor will the president.
Sorry for the rant, but we really needed to vent after seeing these stats.