1. Coconut water is the clear liquid inside a coconut. It is not to be confused with coconut milk or cream, which is a liquid puree of the coconut meat.
2. Coconut water is extracted from young, green coconuts, when the proportion of water to meat is highest.
3. The drink is very popular in central and south America, the Pacific Islands, and other tropical regions.
4. Fresh coconut water is served directly from the fruit by cracking a small hole on top for the insertion of a straw.
5. Coconut water is actually a juice containing a small amount of sugars and other nutrients.
6. It may be canned or bottled.
7. In the US, coconut water has caught on strongly in the past few years, with several popular brands being ditributed in large metro areas.
8. A one cup serving of Vita-Coco brand coconut water contains 45 calories, 2.5 teaspoons of sugar, no fat, 500mg of potassium (similar to a banana).
9. ZICO Brand coconut water touts itself as the all-natural energy drink listing health benefits such as alkaline balance, kidney cleansing, and others.
10. Whether all the benefits mentioned above are true or not, coconut water sure beats Gatorade – less ingredients, less chemicals (colorings), and less sugar.
What to do at the supermarket:
Tap water trumps all, but if you want a slightly sweeter and exotic option check out coconut water.