Spend 20 minutes watching the passionate plea of super chef turned food revolutionary, Jamie Oliver. his wish:
I wish for everyone to help create a strong, sustainable movement to educate every child about food, inspire families to cook again, and empower people everywhere to fight obesity
Some highlights from the talk:
- For the last 7 years Jamie has been working to save lives through food education.
- Eating good food at home binds us to the best bits of life.
- We have an awful awful reality now – this is one of the most unhealthy countries in the world.
- Diet related disease is the biggest killer in the US today.
- Smoking costs way less than obesity. Obesity costs $150B a year and will double in 10 years.
- Obesity is a preventable disease – a waste of a life.
- Fast food has taken over this country. Some of the most important powers are fast food companies.
- The labeling in this country is a DISGRACE. The industry cannot police itself. How can you say something is low-fat when it’s so full of sugar.
- School lunch is critical. Lots of respect for the school lunch ladies – they are doing the best they can.
- Knives and forks are too dangerous for school lunchrooms? This means you are endorsing fast food – which is hand held.
- If kids don’t know what stuff is – they’ll never eat it (cauliflower, eggplant, tomato, etc…)
- Kids have a right to milk at school – but why all the added flavorings, colorings, and SUGAR.
- With all this sugar, any judge would find the government guily of child abuse.
- If I came here with a cure for cancer or AIDS, you’d all line up to meet me, but here is a preventable disease. We need to reboot our thinking.
- The fast food industry needs to wean us off the hits of sugar, fat, salt over a 5 year period.
- Labeling is an absolute farce that needs to be sorted.
- New standard of fresh proper food for our children in school is required.
- Every child should leave school with 10 basic recipes they can cook that will save their lives.
New! Choose a better breakfast with CerealScan™ by Fooducate