1. Obesity. Regular consumption of soft drinks make you fat. A 12 oz Coke a day for a year will add 18 pounds to your weight compared to water consumption!
2. Tooth decay. Slowly sipping on cola, iced tea, or a sports drink coats your teeth with sugar, phosphoric acid, malic acid and/or citric acid. These compounds directly damage tooth enamel.
3. Money. A family of 4 can save $150 by switching to tap water.
4. Taste. Soft drinks diminish the taste of food. Of course, if you define food as a quickie meal at Taco Bell, there’s not much to detract from, but eat a decently perepared meal at home or at a good sit down restaurant, and you will not want to spoil the taste with sugary water. Better have the sommelier pair a good wine with your steak.
5. Refined Sugars. High fructose corn syrup (or sugar) is the usually the #2 ingredient after water in soft drinks. For example, a standard single serve 12fl oz can of Coca Cola has the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar! If you drink one Coke a day for a year instead of water you’ll have had 32 pounds of sugar!
6. Artificial sweeteners. OK, the FDA has approved them all, but enough studies have suggested that some artificial sweeteners may cause cancer. Until the scientists sort this out, why take the risk? The UK isn’t taking any.
7. Artificial Colors. Yellow #5 (Tartrazine), present in Mountain Dew, has been linked to hyperactivity in children.
8. Ecology. Billions of empty plastic bottles and cans are contaminating the earth. Recycling barely touches the tip of the iceberg.
9. What’s your reason to quit?
Help us test our new food comparison tool: alpha.fooducate.com