Do you want to make better choices in 2009? Here are five helpful pieces of advice from writer and chef Eric Burkett, for The Examiner:
1. If it claims it will change your life, it won’t. There are no miracle cures. Or diets. Or foods.
2. Read. Read everything: labels, news, and labels again. If you’ve been following this blog, you know that.
3. Know where your food comes from. This is theoretically good advice, but hard to practice.
4. Organic isn’t always the better choice. When Big Food takes over small organic companies, focus shifts from organic principles to dollars. Also remember that organic junk food is still junk food.
5. Finally, cook more of your own food. Amen.